Poetry Book Talk:
The Shape of Me and Other Stuff by Dr. Seuss is a great book for introducing poetry because it is a fantastic way for children to understand how poetry works due to the rhyming throughout the book. Teachers and their students could do an activity together where they predict what will come next in the story to help them practice producing poetry. Although, this is not the only thing that can help students, unrealted to the topic, students can also learn self-perception and acceptance of themselves and others due to the topic of the story.
Callie-
ReplyDeleteI like the way you explained how poetry can be enjoyed as well as teach other things. I have not read that book but Dr. Seuss is awesome! I think adding a picture of the book and a quote may add to your post. I would like to use the poetry activity with my students some day, sounds fun. Nice job!
Dr. Seuss is always a great choice for kids which is crazy to think about me reading Dr. Seuss as a kid and the books still being used today. It's definitely a good book for helping students learn rhyming. I think student's can learn a lot from reading those books as you said they can learn about acceptance of themselves.
ReplyDeleteI love Dr. Seuss and will always rely on his books to help my students out. Rhyming in his books are fabulous. I think students will really enjoy learning with Dr. Seuss and his wacky stories. If there is ever a lesson done on poetry his books would definitely be a go to!
ReplyDeleteAs with any Dr. Seuss book, there is always a strong message behind the story, as well as the story being enjoyable and fun to read. Dr. Seuss is truly a poet and I hope everyone knows it.
ReplyDelete